Das Operations Department von SOS MEDITERRANEE sucht eine*n Deputy Search and Rescue Coordinator zur Verstärkung des Teams auf der Brücke unseres Rettungsschiffs, der Ocean Viking. Bewerbungsschluss ist der 31. Oktober 2022. Alle Infos zur Bewerbung hier.
Veröffentlicht: 20. Oktober 2022
Bewerbungsschluss: 31. Oktober 2022
Einsatzort: An Bord der Ocean Viking
About SOS MEDITERRANEE
SOS MEDITERRANEE is a civil European rescue association founded in 2015. Facing the humanitarian tragedy and the lack of adequate rescue capacity in the Mediterranean on the deadliest migratory route in the world, a group of European citizens created a maritime and humanitarian association in order to rescue persons in distress at sea, to protect and assist them, as well as to testify about the realities and many faces of migration.
Today, SOS MEDITERRANEE is a network composed of four national associations (Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland) sharing the same mandate. Search and Rescue (SAR) operations have been carried out since February 2016 in the Central Mediterranean off the Libyan coasts with the chartered ships Aquarius and Ocean Viking. To date over 35.000 people have been rescued by SOS MEDITERRANEE.
SOS MEDITERRANEE is recruiting a Deputy Search and Rescue Coordinator to contribute on board under the supervision of the Search and Rescue Coordinator to the bridge activities and the coordination of the overall operation in a challenging, highly sensitive and quick evolving European environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Collecting, centralising, archiving, and communicating evidence about all activities and observations of the ship
- Maintains evidence recording material (VTap, manual audio recorders, backup microphones, CCTV camera)
- Logs all the activities, observations, and SAR-related communications of the ship in a very detailed timeline and share it with the relevant people
- Coordinates collection of bridge watch observations, ensure they are all included in the timeline and in the logbook if relevant, requests additional information on observations from SAR Team members or OOW
- Gathers, treats, organises, and archives all evidence, and ensures proper back-up of all information
Bridge Activities supporting the SARCO
- Supports SAR-related communications to maritime authorities by preparing the draft email for the SARCo according to the situation/phase
- Prepares the Maritime Incident Report (MIR) draft
- Ensures the maintenance of the AIS roaming station
- Feeds the communication officer and journalists with factual details about the operations from the timeline
- Monitors bridge activity while the SARCo is engaged in a phone call/VHF communication and is ready to substitute for him/her
- Supports and helps the SARCo to coordinate, and supervise SOS MEDITERRANEE teams on board
- Is a representative of SOS MEDITERRANEE’s identity, values and objectives at all times and ensures that people under her/his responsibility do the same.
- Ensures that all teams have received the necessary information to perform their duties
- Supports the SARCo in managing the team dynamics on individual and group levels, and in resolving any conflicts
- Provides support in participating and consolidating the debriefing process on board
Procedures, tactics and strategy in collaboration with the SARCo
- Supports the SARCo in monitoring and analysing of the SAR context.
- Proposes continuous improvement of existing framework/processes/procedures or tactics
- Participates in the drafting, updates and evolution of SOS MEDITERRANEE Operational strategy
- Participates in developing, simplifying, and streamlining overall SAR framework/processes, to ensure operational sustainability (short, mid, and long term) with the end objective of clean efficient rescue
- Ensures respect of the procedures and processes as established at the institutional level
- Supports the SARCo in the drafting, design and update of the SOPs related to the interaction with other actors including but not limited to: the Libyan Coast Guard (and other maritime Libyan actors), the relevant RCC, the other SAR NGOs, the port authorities, and ensures such SOPs are implemented
Internal coordination, Communication and Reporting
- Supports the SARCo in consolidating a report of the rotation with all relevant information for SOS MEDITERRANEE
- Organizes hand-over with the next Deputy SAR Coordinator
- Debriefs systematically all rotations with the onshore team
- Liaises with onshore team to provide an overview and a first analysis of the collected data
- Oversees liaising with the rest of the team on the ship when necessary and upon request by SARCo, including for the dispatch of SITREPs
- Could participate to testimonies, interviews and/or signature of press release and other communication to the general opinion onto the situation on the ship, within the communication lines of SOS MEDITERRANEE
Maintenance of equipment and arrangements
- Oversees the state of all project equipment and arrangements, other than those under the responsibility of the Tech (RHIBs and auxiliaries)
- Ensures that equipment set-up adheres to SOS MEDITERRANEE standards and advises relevant people on shore and on board of major modifications needed
- Is focal point on board for Planned Maintenance System (PMS). Liaises with concerned people/departments on board and on shore to organize the maintenance jobs
- Monitors and updates the maintenance admin tools (Sea Hub, job list, etc.)
- Maritime Deck Officer experience
- 3 years’ relevant professional experience in maritime environment including bridge supervision positions
- Work experience in a multicultural environment
- STCW BST (Basic Fire fighting; Personal Survival Techniques; Personal Safety and Social Responsibility; Basic First Aid)
- STCW Security Awareness
- GMDSS GOC
- Seafarer Medical Fitness Certificate
- Nautical expertise (navigation, ship’s stability, meteorology, etc.)
- Knowledge of Maritime Law and regulations.
- Knowledge of safety and security on board.
- Knowledge of ISM system
- Knowledge of SAR operations and technical requirements. Knowledge of IAMSAR Manual.
- Specific vocabulary knowledge, IMO Standard Marine Communication Phrases.
- Fluent in English (spoken and written)
- Proven track record in team/people management
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Candidates must have residency and work authorization in Europe
- STCW Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats (or equivalent) or at least STCW Proficiency in Survival Crafts and Rescue Boats
- STCW Advanced Firefighting
- STCW Leadership and Teamworking Skills / Leadership and Managerial Skills (or equivalent)
- Experience in Maritime SAR operations is a strong added value
- Work experience on SOLAS vessels (>500GT)
- Work experience in non-profit maritime projects.
- Good understanding of the Central Mediterranean context
- Understanding of FRC/RHIB operations
- Knowledge of French, Italian and/or Arabic are assets
- Good interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to cope with uncertainty and frequent change of plans and to respond to requests quickly and accurately
- Ability to cope with stress and work in an environment where team security is a top priority.
- Teamwork, flexibility and adaptability. Flawless detail-orientation.
- Empathic and able to adapt to the situations and willing to help out in case of a change of plan
- Committed to the vision, mission, and values of SOS MEDITERRANEE.
Terms of contract
- Contract: 6-month contract renewable
- Regular availability
- Position based in MV Ocean Viking in the Central Mediterranean Sea
- Annual gross salary: according to SOS MEDITERRANEE’s salary grids and to the candidate’s professional experience.
How to apply
Please send your application (CV and cover letter) in English no later than 30 October 2022 via email to email@example.com and indicate “Application Deputy SARCo – OPS” as the subject of the email. Kindly note that no information will be given by telephone.
When you apply for a job, we collect and store your personal data within our recruitment department for the administrative management of applications and the recruitment process. The purpose of the information requested as a candidate for employment is to assess the professional qualities and skills of your application, to the exclusion of any other purpose. The legal basis for this processing is to obtain your consent and for pre- contractual measures for the employment contract. If your application is successful, this data will be kept for the duration of your contract. If your application is not successful, this data will be deleted immediately unless you advise us otherwise. In accordance with the French Data Protection Act of 6 January 1978 and European regulations, you may access your personal data, rectify it, request its deletion or exercise your right to limit the processing of your data. You can request more information and exercise your rights at any time by contacting SOS MEDITERRANEE – France CS 20585 // 13205 Marseille Cedex 01 – France. firstname.lastname@example.org